Thursday, October 23, 2008

Change it up

Where did this rain come from?! I got up early this morning to get some exercise in before my husband went to work - I had 45mins and yep I was going to go and run in the rain, I actually quite enjoy it, its relaxing and there are few other people out there so less dodging required. Just as I was about to step out of the door Ben found his work cancelled due to the rain - I changed from long pants to shorts and headed up to the gym to do my cardio inside instead. I found it a little challenging. I have gotten used to doing my weights at the gym and my cardio outside with Marley or a door to door run to save time when there is someone around to stay with him. I find my mind wanders when I'm running outside, I think, I appreciate my surroundings (the beach and parks of Sydney beat running around the streets of England by far), its easy...... well easier.

I don't know about you but put me on a treadmill in a gym with that dam clock counting the seconds ........minutes ...........it ........goes ............so .............so ..............slowly ............aaaarrrgggghhhh..... My i pod helps but it can still be painful. This morning I decided to keep it interesting so as not to go insane. This is how it went;

Treadmill (10mins total)
3mins @ 6 (walking)
2mins @ 10
2mins @ 10.5
2mins @ 11
1min @ 12

X-Trainer (10mins)
Strides per minute @ 150 or above constantly
2mins resistance 5
2mins resistance 6
2mins resistance 7
2mins resistance 8
2mins resistance 9

Treadmill (10mins)
10mins @ 10

X-Trainer (10mins)
Strides per minute @ 150 or above constantly
1min resistance 5
1min resistance 9
1min resistance 5
1min resistance 9
1min resistance 5
1min resistance 9
1min resistance 5
1min resistance 9

1min resistance 5
1min resistance 9


And there it was 40 minutes of constant cardio and I wasn't bored, I gave myself short attainable goals and kept challenging myself. I left the gym feeling great and ready for the day.

Choose a variety of equipment to keep your indoor cardio sessions interesting, cross training is a great idea anyway as your body becomes more efficient at the things it is used to doing. If you never ever get on the rower throw it in one day - it will kill you!!! I know it does me. If you never run (and there's not a medical or injury related reason not to) then go run. Even if its only 1 minute or 5 minutes challenge yourself, go for it. We are working with limited free time, try to resist the temptation to do the same old comfortable workout. Push out of your comfort zone and make the most of your you time

No comments: