Friday, February 24, 2012

Healthy Sugar Free Banana & Pear Mini Muffins

Many of you may know that I am not the worlds best cook - I eat relatively simple meals and am not all that adventurous.  However what I do like to play with and create are healthy snacks and finger food for my children.  You will not find any sugar, honey or other sugar substitutes in my recipes as I truly believe children do not need additional sugar in their diet.  They eat enough from fruit and dried fruit (more on dried fruit later).  Here is your first sugar free snack recipe - I often double the quantities then freeze some for later.

Ingredients

  • 1 cup of self-raising wholemeal flour
  • 1 egg
  • 1-2 ripe bananas
  • 1 pear
  • 1 tablespoon of ground flax seed 
  • 1/2cup olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon 
  • 1 tablespoon of milk

Instructions

  1. Peel and finely chop the pear.
  2. On a plate, mash the banana with a fork.
  3. Place the oil and egg in a bowl and whisk until blended.
  4. Add the cinnamon and pear to the flour.
  5. Add the oil mixture and bananas alternatively to the flour and gently blend.
  6. Add the milk if required (I often don't need the milk)
  7. Spoon mixture into greased mini muffin tray or muffin patty cups.
  8. Bake for 15–20 minutes or until cooked.

5 comments:

Sara said...

Thanks so much for the muffin recipe. Made today, left out the cinnamon, delicious and my 3 year old loved them aswell. Was eating ground flax seed myself in smoothies and it was a great way to get the some omega goodness into my son.

Jen Dugard said...

Glad you liked them Sara - there will be more healthy snacks to come. Keep checking in :)

Unknown said...

What temperature?

Sam said...

I don’t have any flaxseed - could I make without?

jason said...

According to a recent Surgeon General's report, more than 50% of adults show some degree of inflammatory gum disease. Advanced periodontal disease, attachment loss of 6 millimeters, was evident in 15% of adults ages 45 to 54. dairy queen for diabetic menu