Friday, October 29, 2010

Feel Good Friday - product review Fridge-to-go small lunch bag

I don't know about you but now that I have children I never leave the house without a packed lunch or at least snack food that they can eat on the run.  And now with the hot Sydney summer just around the corner the question of how to keep food cool and edible becomes an issue.  The majority of healthy food needs to be kept cool and fresh, avoiding packets means more perishable foods and therefore the need to look after them.  As a busy mum it can be hard enough to factor in organising a packed lunch for the days outings and to find it is warm and soggy by the time you get to it is no fun for anyone.

Enter Fridge-To-Go and their great range of cooler bags for all occasions.  I was lucky enough to be sent one of their small lunch bags to trial and we have been using it for the last couple of weeks and I love it.  We have numerous cool bags hanging around our apartment - but they don't quite cut it like this bag does.  One of the best features is the ultra thin removable freezer panels - the bag is designed to be able to put the whole thing in your freezer. But if your freezer is anything like mine then there is definitely no room for the whole thing, nor is there room for numerous bulky freezer blocks that you need for your traditional cool bag.  I took full advantage of the removable panel and loved that it didn't take up much space.

I think half the reason that we usually need so many freezer blocks in our cool bags is that they don't stay frozen for that long so you have to take quantity over quality in an attempt to keep your food and drinks cold.  The Fridge-To-Go panels keep your cool bag cold for up to 8 hours.  I even managed to leave Marley's lunch on the passenger seat inside my hot car for a few hours the other day (I blame baby brain) and it was still nice and cool when we came back to it.

The freezer panel slips into a discreet zip pocket which tucks easily away and becomes part of the the base of the bag and the fact that it is in a little pocket stops your sandwiches becoming soggy with condensation and also helps to prevent that musty, damp smell that cool bags often get.

It is small enough for Marley (my two year old) to want to throw over his shoulder, perfect to encourage your children to carry their own items (at least some of the way) and a great compact size that fits well into my baby bag too.  If you were packing lunch for more than one person you might want to upgrade to their medium lunch cooler bag or even their Mini Fridge 6 lunch cooler bag, there is something to suit every occasion.

Now mums, even if you don't need one of these bags for your child you must get one for yourself.  Commit to packing your own snack pack every time you leave the house to stop you reaching for convenience foods which are often unhealthy and fattening.  You will feel better for it, your body will thank you for it and Fridge-To-Go will help to keep you on track by keeping it cool for you.  We have certainly been giving our Fridge-To-Go lunch pack a work out.

To go into the draw to win one of three small lunch bags from Fridge-To-Go just post below what favorite food you would like to keep cool in your new lunch bag.

All entrants must 'like' both the Body Beyond Baby and Fridge-To-Go facebook pages 
Winner will be announced on Thursday 4th of November on the Body Beyond Baby facebook page and blog - Good luck!

9 comments:

mjelly said...

Chocolate is a food, and best served chilled :)

I follow you both on FB

Bridget said...

Avocado sandwiches. My little one loves them but if they are left in her lunchbox too long they go all brown and squidgy. She still happily eats them though of course.....

Anonymous said...

What wouldn't I use it for! I currently have 3 little esky pack things and use them daily, (although I'm sure my partner would think it was gold for putting his beer in on those hot summer days - like he does my current ones!). I use mine daily to carry my daughters milks to childcare (to make sure they stay cold on the journey), but it would also sport lots of other goodies, and make venturing out much more pleasurable - especially when cold food is involved (like yogurt - yumo!)! x

mamamia said...

my kids like to have "grazing" food when the weather is hot. I chop up salad vegies into bite size pieces and throw in some go-gurts and some cheese cubes and it usually comes home empty but for crumbs!
I love the idea of the removable freezer block, what a great idea!

Heatlhy Kids Eat Plants said...

Oh!! - I have been looking everywhere for a neat little cooler bag for my bubs food when we're out and about. Purees, Milk, Finger foods, sandwiches.. so many possibilities!!... Would absolutely love one!! :-)

Sarah said...

I live in Singapore where it is hot all year around. I would use it to pack my toddlers lunch for school so I could pack something other than peanut butter and jelly!

Anonymous said...

I love making fresh snacks for my son (hummus, vege sticks, fresh fruit etc) , and it can be a real struggle to keep fresh food tasty and attractive during the summer months. These coolers look perfect and compact enough to take anywhere.

Alison P said...

I would pack my carrot and celery sticks, the perfect grazing food. Your product review came at a great time as I feel like I have spent the last month trialling lunch bags and boxes. The latest one I bought managed to rip after one use and I was not impressed. Am still waiting for a replacement from the manufacturer.

Mummy 2 Mummy xo said...

I love chilled fruits like strawberries or grapes. Easy to grab and great lil snack for my lil one... Definately best eaten chilled...

Yum yum... nice and clean food too :) Clean body clean mind!