Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Goals

We all have goals - you know the thoughts in the back of our minds that we aspire to or that we hope to reach one day.  Many of us have financial goals or career goals but how many of us actually take the time to sit down and write them out?  and how many of us have actually sat down and written our body image and health goals?

Health and fitness goals are often the ones that stay at the bottom of the pile - we will start working towards them tomorrow or next week and we somehow never reach tomorrow.  Its only too easy especially as a busy mum to continually shift these types of aspirations because you just don't have time to get onto them.  We are not all the same and some of us shift different priorities to the bottom of the pile - for me I will go to the gym or make some form of exercise happen before I clean our home (a bad wife maybe but I NEED my sanity and exercise gives me that).  Don't get me wrong it's not a dirty home but it IS often VERY messy and deep down I long to live in a tidy home where every thing has it's place and I don't have to 'excuse the mess' every time someone comes over.  But for me that is the goal that gets pushed to the bottom of the pile - I really should take my own advice and get something on paper - plod away at it everyday and eventually live in the home I desire.......

Back to health, fitness and body image goals - I put body image in here because it is important - being fit and healthy are very important goals and often a great body will belong to a fit and health person but I believe body image and the way we portray ourselves especially as women impacts a lot on the way we feel about ourselves, our self esteem and our general happiness within our own skin.  One of my goals is to run a marathon but I can tell you I want to look great doing it - for me it's about both, looking great AND feeling great and you need to figure out what is important to you when you are writing your goals.  Make them personal and make them mean something to you - it's only when you relate to them that they will become your driving force.

How to start:

I like to use the SMART principle - it speaks for itself and if you follow each step you will be on your way to having a great set of goals.

Specific - know the exact outcome you want to achieve and exactly how you will know when you have gotten there.  i.e 'I will fit into my size 10 sass and bide jeans with NO muffin top', 'I will be able to do 10 push-ups on my toes'  get the idea.....

Measurable - You must know where you have started to know where you will get to.  Take a measurement of where you are now, use Body Composition if you can or at least measurements and the scales (to an extent) or know that you are now a size 14 in Sass & Bide jeans so you have two sizes to lose in order to reach your goal.  You may be able to do 3 push-ups now and you must build up to 10.  Theres no point in just saying 'I want to lose weight'.  Take photos of yourself now, during and once you have reached your goals - they are a powerful tool.


Achievable - You goals must be achievable to you - set them too high and you may become disheartened when you don't achieve them and too low and you may not have to make any changes in order to get there - your goals need to stretch you a little and challenge you to become a better you but they are not supposed to break you nor are they supposed to 'just happen without trying'.

Realistic - Know yourself, know your body and know what is possible - aiming to lose 10% Body Fat in a week just isn't going to happen but aiming to lose 10% body fat over a period of 12 weeks just might be.  And write your goals so they are true to yourself, get under your skin and find out what makes you tick - know what you want and feel passionate about achieving it.

Time Frame - 'I will fit into my size 10 Sass & Bide jeans with no muffin top by the 25th of December'  If you have a special occasion planned this is often a great time frame.  Be strong and set that date otherwise tomorrow will never come - we all know that feeling only too well.

You can write your goals and stick them on the fridge, on the back of the toilet door, on the bathroom mirror, in your car or in the photo part of your wallet - anywhere that you see them regularly.  Having a hard copy that you see often will help to keep you in check and keep you from going off track.

So what are you waiting for?  Set your goals and come with me to achieve your best body beyond baby.

No comments: