Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Yummy hummus

I thought I'd share my food diary with you today and also the recipe for my very yummy and very popular beetroot hummus. I made a batch this morning and it goes a little like this;

Jen's Beetroot Hummus

1 can Chickpeas
1 can Beetroot (I use sliced as its easier to blend)
1 tbsp Tahini
splash of Olive oil (though flax seed oil could be used here as it is a great form of good fats)
tsp Garlic
tbsp Lemon juice
(I prefer it sweeter so I put more lemon juice than garlic but if you prefer a more garlicky taste just swap the quantities around)

throw all the ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. I sometimes then add a can of whole chickpeas for a more chunky texture.

Chop veggies, dip in hummus and enjoy a healthy yummy snack.

I'm going to try out other hummus flavors so ill update you with any new variations on this recipe.

So, onto my food diary;

0700 Breakfast mixture
100g forest berries,
125g Cottage Cheese (low fat),
40g Freedom Foods Hi-lite cereal,
100g Atikki low fat yogurt.

0930 Berry smoothie
1/2 cup frozen berries
1/2 cup skim milk
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup low fat yogurt (check the sugar content too)
1/2 cup of unsweetened apple puree (from health food store, the stuff in
the supermarket has lots of sugar in it)
tsp flax seed oil
1 scoop whey vanilla protein powder

1130 Snack attack protein bar

1300 Chai Tea with skim milk and honey

1330 Out for lunch
Grilled Barramundi and salad
Chocolate mousse (has to be my cheat for the week - at least I wasn't downing
champagne in honor of the Melbourne Cup - last year seems so long ago!!!!)

1630 Snack
apple
hard boiled egg white

1900 Dinner - mix plate
salad left over from last night (orange, grapefruit, sugar snap peas, wall nuts, rocket
lettuce & cucumber)
3 slices low fat cheese
beetroot hummus
tofu pieces
Veggie skewer left over from last night (capsicum, pineapple, red onion, mushroom)

All in all not a bad day - the chocolate mousse could have been avoided but I was out to lunch with my in-laws and I made my choice - no Friday night chocolate night for me this week!!!

How does your food diary look? When was the last time you took a good look at what goes into your mouth? Try it sometime.

No comments: