Monday, November 17, 2008

Try a healthy version

I'm loving experimenting with recipes at the moment. Don't get me wrong I am not spending hours in the kitchen - apart from the fact that there are not enough hours in the day I am not the most imaginative chef in the world. I am happy to eat simple healthy meals for the most part but when it comes to spreads or dips (hummus) and snacks I like to change things around a little to make super healthy yummy food. Having young children means we can fall into the trap of forgetting our own nutritional needs, having healthy snacks on hand can really help you get through the day, and you know exactly what you are putting in your mouth. Try the ones below, if I can make them they have to be easy!!!

Protein Power Banana Cookies (this one I got from a client of mine and I added a few bits and pieces to make it even better!!!)

2 1/2 cups rolled oats
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2-1tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 cup walnut oil
2tbsp 100% Almond spread
1 scoop unflavored Protein powder (you could use vanilla)
1 cup sultanas
2 1/4 cups very ripe bananas
1 tbsp ground flax seed or linseed

Pre heat oven to 180 degrees
Combine oats, salt, cinnamon, protein powder, flax seed in a bowl, add oil and toss to coat.
Mash bananas and add to dry mixture
Add almond spread, sultanas and mix well
Cover two baking trays with grease proof paper
using a 1/4 measuring cup scoop 6 mounds of dough each onto the two baking trays
Flatten using a fork or spatula
Bake at the top of the oven for 10 mins
Remove from oven and flatten further then bake for another 8-10 mins

Yummy!!!!

Smoothies are another of my favorites;

Berry buzz
I find this makes enough for two smoothies so you can share with a friend or pop in the fridge for tomorrow

1/2 cup skim milk (can use soy/rice etc...)
1/2 cup cold water
1/2 cup berries of your choice (I used frozen mixed ones)
1 tbsp ground flax seed or linseed
1/2 cup unsweetened apple puree (available in health food shops - not the supermarket variety!!! check the contents to ensure no sugar or other additives have been included)
1/2 cup low fat low sugar yogurt (read the label)
2 scoops whey protein powder (vanilla or plain is best)
dash flax seed oil (optional)
handful ice cubes

blend all ingredients - drink!

You can almost always put a healthy spin on a recipe - if you have any suggestions feel free to contribute or if you are unsure of healthy substitutions for your regular concoctions drop me a line and I'll see how I can help you.

I'm off to the kitchen

No comments: