Thursday, September 13, 2012

Watch Your Winter Waistline - Before and After photos and Q&A with one of our winners Sally

Today we chat with Sally - joint overall winner of our first ever Watch Your Winter Waistline - 12 Week Challenge

What initially made you sign up to the 12 Week Challenge? 

I received regular emails from body beyond baby regarding challenges, events and newsletters after enquiring about training approx 4 yrs ago when my first child was born. I kept putting the initial sign up off, always coming up with a reason not to do it, it just seemed too hard in so many ways! After my first child I put on 10kgs and never got it off. I then fell pregnant with baby number 2, I put on another 10kgs. Over the last 12 months I probably gained another 5kg. So therefore I was now approx 25 kilos above my pre pregnancy weight. It finally kicked in that I drastically had to do something about this. I was overweight, lazy, cranky and not very happy within myself. That’s when an email came through from Body Beyond Baby regarding the 12 week winter challenge. I discussed with my husband that we needed to change our routine so as to allow me to take on this challenge. It was perfect timing. It was starting that following Monday, no excuses I rang Jen and signed up!

What were your initial goals and did you think you would reach them?

When I started at Body Beyond Baby, I couldn’t do a push up, not even on my knees. My goal was to be able to do 10 (on my knees) by the end of challenge. I achieved this I did 12!

Another goal was to be able to run! I didn’t really have a goal as to how far, before the challenge, I could barely run the 400m oval without stopping, today I can run a loop around Centennial park. And lastly of course I had a weight loss goal. I set a target of 1kg a week so total 12kgs. I made it, I lost a total 12 kilos over the challenge.

What were the easiest and most challenging aspects?

The easiest part of the challenge was getting to training. I was motivated to get there and my two boys (4year old Oscar and 2 year old Hamish) loved going to play with all the other kids, and having the nannies allowed me to have a full hour to focus on myself and the training.
The most challenging for me was the diet.

What were your favorite and least favorite bits?

One of my favorite parts of the challenge was the fitness testing at the 4 week and 8 week check ins. I could see my weight loss, my fitness improvement and my goals being reached. This kept me motivated to keep going.

My least favorite part of the challenge was the cold wintery days. Although add a couple of layers of clothing and start to run and it was more than bearable.

How many sessions per week did you exercise to achieve your goal?
I did 2 weekday group training classes and the Saturday morning class with Body Beyond Baby. I would also do a 3-4km run once a week on my own.
 
Did you have to change your diet a lot?

I know I should have but I didn’t! I do regret not changing my diet as I lost 12kgs with pure exercise. If I had improved my diet I now realize what I could have achieved over the 12 weeks.

Do you feel like your diet and exercise changes were sustainable?
My exercise is certainly sustainable, I now miss training the days that I am not there. I am back at work at the moment so juggling kids and a husband around “me time” is a challenge, it just means I get up before the kids to go for a run.
The diet – well that’s still a work in progress!!

What else did you gain from your challenge experience (apart from diet and exercise)?
I gained the incredible support from the mums at training. Everyone was so positive and encouraging it made turning up to training that much easier.

I have gained confidence and energy within myself, I am a happier and more fun loving mum for my husband and two very active little boys.

What would your advice be to a new mum thinking about doing the challenge?
Do it, it’s the best thing you will ever do for yourself - you will not regret it! Do it after your first child don’t wait to start after your second.

Sum up your challenge experience for us

Thanks to Jen and the team at Body Beyond Baby, that with their support, motivation, guidance and of course training that I have changed for the better. I feel I am only half through my weight loss journey, I know I have a challenge within myself now to lose the next 13kgs! Can’t wait for the summer challenge to begin!

Here are Sally's before and after photos:

For being one of our overall winners Sally receives a Revive Me Spa package from Sheraton on the Park



No comments: