Thursday, July 16, 2009

Body Composition one year on

Hey all,

I have just returned from a trip to see Jarrod at body composition to get a 'one year' update on what is going on on the inside.

For comparison I though I would give you results from September 2007 (pre-pregnancy), September 2008 (post-pregnancy) and now, July 2009 (one year on). Here goes:

September 07 (pre-pregnancy)

Body Fat 20.2%
Total Body weight 53.9kg
Fat mass 10.9kg
Lean Body Mass 40.6kg

September 08 (post-pregnancy)

Body Fat 27.2%
Total body weight 58.6kg
Fat mass 15.9kg
Lean Body Mass 40.4kg

July 09 (NOW - one year on)

Body Fat 21.3%
Total body weight 55.5kg
Fat mass 11.8kg
Lean Body Mass 41.3kg

You might look at that and say, well she's not back to her original pre-baby weight and you would be correct BUT if you look closely, and this is where we need to talk about body composition and not just body 'weight'. You will see that with the correct diet and exercise I now have an extra kilo of muscle than I did before I fell pregnant with Marley, this would therefore make it difficult for me to reach that original 53.9kg without becoming extremely lean or losing muscle.

I am carrying 1% and 1kg of body fat more than I would like so from here my goal weight will be around 54.5kg with a body fat percentage of 20. Hopefully with my goal to run the half marathon and the increase in cardiovascular activity it might just be the kick I need to get there. I will however need to watch my protein intake and given that I am going to have to drop a weights session in the gym to accommodate the extra cardio I may lose a little muscle.

I will be back with a post marathon body composition so we can check it out and see what the change in training does to my body - stay tuned.



No comments: